TRWD is proud and excited to complete first partnership with Cristo Rey Fort Worth College Prep.
During the 2021-2022 school year, four departments at TRWD hosted a student from Cristo Rey Fort Worth through the school’s work study program. Both Cristo Rey Student Workers and TRWD employees learned a lot and had a great time through this experience.
Cristo Rey Fort Worth College Prep is a Catholic learning community that educates young people of limited economic means to become men and women of faith, purpose and service.
As the saying goes, all good things must come to an end and it is time to say goodbye to our student workers… for now.
Read about each student’s experience at the water district:
- Jahir Martinez, Freshman- Administrative Services
- “One thing I was really excited to learn was what the District’s responsibilities were because I was going to be with this company for a school year and I wanted to get to know everything. One of the fun things working here was going on the helicopter for the first time and Tying over TRWD’s pump stations. Near the end or my experience, I thought I wasn’t going to be able to go boating, but my amazing co-workers and supervisors were able to plan a visit to Eagle Mountain Lake.”
- Jouselyn Garcia, Sophomore – Conservation
- “Before working at TRWD, plants and water conservation never appealed to me. It wasn’t that I didn’t like plants or water conservation; it was the fact I never got an opportunity to learn more about them. However, working here at TRWD gave me that opportunity, and it even sparked a new interest for me. The more I learned about native plants and what they could do, the more interested I became. And more importantly, I learned the significance of water conservation. I learned new ways to help conserve water on a daily basis and even shared them with my friends and family. And I think it is awesome what TRWD does to educate people about water conservation.”
- Gustavo Perez, Junior – Infrastructure Engineering
- “I spent a ton of time working in Excel and gained a lot of knowledge that I can use in the future. Also, I really enjoyed getting out in the field to tour TRWD pump stations and projects. It was great to see how the work I was doing in the office worked in real life.”
- Jailyn Ochoa, Senior- Public Affairs
- “The corporate work study program, especially the ones that form part of it, have also helped me develop and grow into the person I am today. Through all my work experiences, I have learned new skills and been able to express myself and explore the business world. I have learned a lot from the Public Affairs department this year, and it has allowed me to grow and learn more than I thought I ever could. With everyone’s help at my school and in all my previous corporate jobs, I have become prepared tor college and I am more than ever excited.”
- A big congratulations to Jailyn who is part of the first graduating class from Cristo Rey Fort Worth. TRWD wishes you all the best in your future endeavors, Jailyn!
See Cristo Rey’s graduation ceremony, class of 2022 on their Facebook page: @cristoreyfortworth.org.
Check out other stories from Cristo Rey Student Worker’s the past year: TRWD Partners with Cristo Rey Fort Worth College Prep Work Study Program – Tarrant Regional Water District and Cristo Rey Fort Worth College Prep Student Workers are covering all the bases – Tarrant Regional Water District.