Summer Intern – Environmental Services Department – Richland Chambers/Cedar Creek
Location: Streetman, TX and/or Trinidad, TX
Type of Employment: Summer Internship
Schedule: Monday through Friday, 7:30am to 4:00pm
The Environmental Services Intern will assist with collecting water quality samples from District reservoirs and associated watersheds. They will also assist with maintaining equipment necessary for sampling as well as assess and analyze water quality data collected.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Strong organization skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Valid Texas Driver License
- College courses in a related field
Essential functions and responsibilities:
- Perform water sampling and basic laboratory water chemistry analysis
- Collect sediment samples for analysis from RC Wetland
- Operate UTV for herbicide application
- Assist with overall clean-up of RC Laboratory
- Assist with instrumentation calibration along district pipelines
- Utilize Microsoft Word and Excel to update database and SOP’s
- Other duties as required
Physical demands and work environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: Requires use of sight, hearing, speech, hands and feet for water sampling. Requires repeated, heavy lifting (minimum 40 lbs.) for transport of samples. Requires bending, stooping, squatting, kneeling and possible swimming during sampling. Requires the ability to walk on uneven terrain for extended periods.
- Work environment: Requires outside work in all types of weather including extreme heat and cold. Work hours will be split between office work and field work. A significant portion of field work will be on a boat.