Right of Way Technician I – Ennis
Location: Ennis, TX
Type Of Employment: Full Time
Right of Way (ROW) Technician I is responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of water district pipelines and the ROW.
- Experience working with hand tools such as hammers wrenches, drills, impacts, and pneumatic tools.
- Ability to interact with the public and represent the district positively.
- Ability to work overtime.
- Ability to operate a 4 wheel drive pick-up and pull a trailer.
- Experience hauling and backing utility trailers.
- Ability to safely work chainsaws and wood chippers.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Valid Texas CDL Class B without restriction E.
- Experience and/or knowledge of ROW operations.
- Equipment operating skills (ag tractor, back hoe, utility tractor, forklift, etc).
- Knowledge of pipeline hydraulics.
- Knowledge/ability to read map books or blue prints.
- Experience cutting and welding.
Functions and responsibilities:
- Perform maintenance, painting, and building fences/gates/apparatuses on pipelines, or ROW.
- Travel long distances to remote areas to complete work/work under minimal supervision.
- Haul materials and equipment for projects.
- Drive/operate various equipment such as dump trucks or motorized boats.
- Use chain saws and wood chippers to clear creeks, fence lines, etc.
- Assist ROW Technician II & III in the field work such as pipe to soil data collection, reading instruments, and maintenance of equipment.
- Perform data entry on work orders and for time-keeping.
- Clean, maintain and inspect all equipment daily.
- Uphold safety standards and clean work environment.
- Interact and coordinate with other TRWD personnel.
- After hours Emergency Response.
- Hazmat Response Team
- Assist with monitoring and maintenance of Pipelines and ROW.
- Assist with TRWD special events.
- Work on call.
- Perform other duties as required.
Success factors/job competencies:
- Ability to professionally and effectively correspond through oral and written communications
- Professional and effective oral and written communications to internal and external recipients
- Perform general maintenance of TRWD structures and grounds including pipeline and floodway
- Attention to Detail — Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks
- Dependability — Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations
- Cooperation — Job requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude
- Stress Tolerance — Job requires accepting criticism and dealing calmly and effectively with high stress situations
- Concern for Others — Job requires being sensitive to others’ needs and feelings and being understanding and helpful on the job
- Independence — Job requires developing one’s own ways of doing things, guiding oneself with little or no supervision, and depending on oneself to get things done
- Self-Control — Job requires maintaining composure, keeping emotions in check, controlling anger, and avoiding aggressive behavior, even in very difficult situations
- Adaptability/Flexibility — Job requires being open to change (positive or negative) and to considerable variety in the workplace
- Initiative — Job requires a willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges
- Persistence — Job requires persistence in the face of obstacles
- Innovation — Job requires creativity and alternative thinking to develop new ideas for and answers to work-related problems
- Integrity — Job requires being honest and ethical
- Achievement/Effort — Job requires establishing and maintaining personally challenging achievement goals and exerting effort toward mastering tasks
Physical demands and work environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing duties of job, employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hand to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk and hear. Employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 80 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee typically resides out in the field for long periods of time exposing the employee to weather conditions prevalent at the time. They will periodically work in buildings without climate control. This position will also work in confined spaces, underground, in diches, on water ways such as lakes or rivers, and at various heights.