Environmental Technician I – Eagle Mountain
Location: Fort Worth, TX – Eagle Mountain
Type Of Employment: Full Time
Collect water quality samples from District reservoirs and associated watersheds, and the Fort Worth floodway system. Maintain equipment necessary for sampling. Assess and analyze water quality data collected.
- Bachelor’s Degree – preferably in biology, chemistry, environmental science or related field.
- Two (2) years of experience in water sampling and a High School Diploma/GED may substitute for the B.S. Degree.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office with basic knowledge of Word and Excel.
- The ability to communicate effectively with public and local contacts during office and field work to represent the District accurately.
- Proficiency in water quality sampling and current SWQM procedures within one year of starting this position.
- Valid Texas Driver License.
- Experience hauling a boat trailer.
- Boat operation experience.
- Knowledge and experience working in Microsoft Access.
- Experience using water quality sondes.
Essential functions and responsibilities:
- Conduct water sampling of lakes, pipelines, tributaries and wastewater treatment plants.
- Deliver samples to laboratory for analysis.
- Calibration of water quality sondes.
- Prepare and manage equipment necessary for sampling.
- Perform data analysis and updates using water quality data.
- Investigate pollution concerns, collect samples, and document findings.
- Track and document data from collection through final electronic storage.
- Requires the ability to spot possible pollution problems and respond accordingly.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Assist in hazardous material investigations.
Nonessential functions, skills and experience:
- Scan environmental documents for records management.
- Perform other duties as required.
Success factors/job competencies:
- Self-motivated – This position requires the ability to work independently and accomplish assigned tasks in a timely manner.
- Critical Thinking – This position requires the ability to identify erroneous or problematic values and readings in the field and be able to identify potential causes and solutions.
- Productivity – This position requires sampling events to be completed according to a schedule and assigned projects be completed in a timely manner.
- Detail-Oriented – Collection of accurate, reliable data is the goal of this position. There are specific guidelines for collection and storage of samples that need to be followed every time. There is a lot of numeric data collected, and attention to detail throughout data entry and analysis is critical for successful understanding of the data collected.
- Mechanical Inclination – In this position, there are various types of equipment that are required in order to complete the required work. It requires attention to the care and use of the equipment and the ability to identify equipment malfunctions and resolve in the field if possible.
- Communication – This position requires communication with internal District personnel and the general public.
- Teamwork -This position often requires teamwork in order to complete the required field work. It is important to be able to work and communicate with others in order to achieve common goals.
Physical demands and work environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: Requires use of sight, hearing, speech, hands and feet for water sampling. Requires repeated, heavy lifting (minimum 40 lbs.) for transport of samples. Requires bending, stooping, squatting, kneeling and possible swimming during sampling. Requires the ability to walk on uneven terrain for extended periods.
- Work environment: Requires outside work in all types of weather including extreme heat and cold. Work hours will be split between office work and field work. A significant portion of field work will be on a boat.