Engineering Field Technician I – Fort Worth
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Type Of Employment: Full Time
The Engineering Field Technician I will be responsible for supporting TRWD engineering tasks in the field required to help meet the district’s mission of water supply, flood control and recreation. Construction inspection services, corrosion control initiatives including cathodic protection (CP) and coating inspection, dam safety instrumentation readings, stream flow measurement calibration, pipeline integrity support and tasks as needed during flood monitoring are examples of the responsibilities this position will meet.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Valid Texas Driver License.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Cathodic protection experience/certification (NACE CP 1 tester certification).
- Coating inspection experience/certification (NACE CIP 1 coatings inspector certification).
- Confined space training.
- Background in troubleshooting equipment/instrument issues.
- Strength in algebra, geometry, trigonometry and writing.
- Proficient with computer, testing equipment and software used for technical data collection, analysis and management.
- Dam and/or levee experience related to operations and maintenance.
Essential functions and responsibilities:
- Assist engineering tasks related to construction, cathodic protection (CP), coating inspection, dam safety, stream flow measurements, structural maintenance, flood monitoring and other engineering-related projects. May include but not limited to: Any project that engineering is involved in, such as pipeline integrity studies, surveying, and inspection of construction, to verify project requirements as set forth in the plans and technical specifications are being followed.
- Assist engineering field techs 2, 3, 4 in field work, such as CP data collection, coating inspection, stream flow measurement for gauge calibration at all district facilities and locations.
- Lead dam safety efforts associated with inspection, data collection, and instrumentation maintenance on all district dam and levee systems.
- Assist district personnel for special projects related to construction and maintenance of all District facilities and properties.
- Coordinates with Infrastructure Integrity Manager to QA and store CP data in GIS and SharePoint.
- Assist with construction inspection, quality assurance measures and witnessing of factory acceptance testing of major equipment.
- Assist with on-site distressed pipe analysis and rehabilitation/replacement recommendation; participate in forensics analysis of replaced pipe segments.
- Assist with engineering tasks related to construction, dam safety, stream flow measurements, structural maintenance, flood monitoring, and other engineering-related projects.
- Performs inspection, data collection, and instrumentation maintenance on all district dam and levee systems. Responsibilities include reading instrumentation, downloading/trending data preparing site visit condition reports, maintaining tools & equipment and processing data
- Coordinate with Survey Personnel for Dam-Related Data Surveys.
Nonessential functions, skills and experience:
- Work with Operations anode team on CP installation, testing and troubleshooting.
- Work with Operations dam and levee personnel on instrumentation issues, testing, and troubleshooting.
- Work with IPL construction team, inspectors and design teams on construction practices and testing.
- Work with coatings team on methods and testing.
- Document means and methods, including for data management functions.
- File and organize records within the department, including writing memos, documenting photos and documenting observations and as-built drawings to reflect current conditions.
- Perform other duties as required.
Success factors/job competencies/certification expectations:
- Basic math including algebra, geometry and trigonometry.
- Basic computer skills (MS office, SharePoint, GIS, Maximo)
- Demonstrate ability to work safely and follow safety guidelines.
- Ability to work in a team environment with shared responsibilities.
- Demonstrate the ability to effectively work without direct supervision when necessary.
- Ability to work on multiple projects at once.
- Ability to establish work priorities.
- Must be able to work occasional long or unusual hours.
- Must be able to reason at a level such that data can be collected, organized, and analyzed.
- Obtain a NACE CP 1 tester certification.
- Obtain a NACE CIP 1 coatings inspector certification.
- Obtain a confined space certification.
Physical demands and work environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing duties of job, employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hand to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk and hear. Employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Additionally, individual must be able to meet the following physical demands:
- Use of sight, hearing, speech, and hands required for collection and analysis of data.
- Use of feet and legs, ability to walk on difficult terrain, and climb ladders as required.
- Ability to work comfortably in confined spaces.
- Ability to work comfortably at various heights.
- Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee typically will be engaged in field work that will expose the employee to weather conditions prevalent at the time, including extreme heat and cold for an extended amount of time. This position will also work in confined spaces, on water ways such as lakes or rivers, in wet, slippery conditions and at various heights.