Salary Range: $25.68 – $38.47 per hour
Location: Fort Worth
Under general supervision performs a variety of routine to difficult technical duties in developing and supporting the TRWD Enterprise Geographic Information System (GIS) and survey support system. Utilize standard GIS and survey technologies and concepts to research, capture, process, and verify the accuracy and completeness of geospatial data to help solve multifaceted spatial problems.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to this position.
- Utilize Esri desktop and/or web GIS software to visualize, manipulate, display, create, edit, and analyze data stored in the TRWD Enterprise GIS, and ensure GIS/GPS data is accurate, useable, and current
- Responsible for creating, developing, maintaining, and updating map and database layers in support of TRWD’s Enterprise GIS
- Create and/or develop GIS data utilizing the most appropriate tools available to produce high quality results
- Familiarity with working within a multi-user GIS environment. Understanding of versioning and basic database management and maintenance routines
- Utilize Trimble survey and total station equipment to collect, locate and transmit collected data into TRWD’s Enterprise GIS database as well as utilize specialized equipment (such as an electronic location tool or a remote-controlled catamaran) for surveying, locating, mapping, data collection and processing
- Maintain proper documentation of geospatial concepts such as map and database layers (including metadata), data processing tasks, as well as surveying techniques and concepts
- Create, publish, and configure map and feature services utilizing Esri web GIS products
- Responsible for providing GIS and GPS assistance and project support to TRWD GIS users and non-GIS users, including troubleshooting software-related issues and\or performing complex spatial analysis of geographic data on their behalf
- Assist with training and development of other GIS technical staff, and develops training materials as needed
- Responsible for creating accurate, customized, and visually appealing maps and reports for various TRWD departments
- Develop basic automated tools utilizing programming languages and/or Esri products
- Understand and utilize linear referencing concepts
- Participate in the development and testing of desktop/field GIS applications
- Resolve TRWD staff GIS and survey user technical issues as directed
- Capable of interpreting Plan & Profile drawings, As-Built drawings, Operations and Maintenance Manuals, and other Engineering related documents
- Conduct CAD data conversion, CAD data inventory, and other activities as directed
- Perform administrative duties such as copying, scanning, and typing
- File and organize data and equipment within the department
- Maintain familiarity with strategic TRWD levels of service
- Continuous improvement monitoring and innovation efforts
- Perform other duties as required
- Three (3) years of increasing technical experience in GIS and/or survey concepts
- Three (3) years of experience with Esri software products including two (2) years of demonstrated experience working with ArcGIS Enterprise and ArcGIS Online
- Proficient in the use of Esri software
- Experience and working knowledge of Trimble survey equipment and the implementation of that data into GIS
- Experience working with custom GIS web applications
- Bachelor’s degree in GIS, Geography, Survey (Geomatics), or related discipline
- Valid Texas driver’s license
- Certification(s) in GIS or Survey
Success Factors/Job Competencies:
- Successful applicant will have a good knowledge of and be self-sufficient with analysis processes utilizing Esri software, and have good analytical, problem solving, and communication skills
- Ability to independently troubleshoot and assess the situation, determine the pertinent facts, research known issues, and implement a relevant solution that supports departmental priorities
- Self-starter, strong work ethic, ability to handle and prioritize multiple work demands
- Ability to complete all tasks assigned by given deadlines
- Positive attitude with a team orientated focus
- Good verbal and written communication skills for coordinating with TRWD staff from various departments
- May require working long or unusual hours
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing duties of job, employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hand to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk and hear. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Employee will be expected to perform some these duties in the field and on construction sites.
- Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee typically resides within an office or cubicle and may have occasional field work that will expose the employee to weather conditions prevalent at the time. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will walk on difficult terrain, climb ladders, and enter into confined spaces.
- Equipment Use: Trimble surveying equipment & software, Esri software, personal computer, printer, plotter, calculator, specialized equipment (survey instruments, GPS devices, laser range finder, etc…).