The Fleet Mechanic Internship is designed to provide students an opportunity to work side by side with experienced mechanics while gaining hands on experience repairing, troubleshooting, and general preventative maintenance of equipment. The goal is to prepare students for full time employment in this field. The intern will work 16 to 24 hours a week with flexible hours based on class schedule. The Fleet Mechanic Intern is responsible for the maintenance and repair of TRWD vehicles and heavy equipment as well as keeping the equipment and work environment in clean and in good working order. The Fleet Mechanic Intern works as part of a team to assist with other duties such as vegetation maintenance, structure inspection and repair, and manual labor.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Strong performance, attendance and academic standing with technical school program
- Willingness to work 16 to 24 hours per week
- Must have at least 1 semester completed
Physical demands and work environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Physical demands: While performing duties of job, employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hand to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk and hear. Employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 80 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
* Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee typically resides out in the field exposing the employee to weather conditions prevalent at the time. This position will also work in confined spaces, on water ways such as lakes or rivers, and at various heights.