The Fleet Mechanic I is responsible for the maintenance and repair of TRWD vehicles and heavy equipment as well as keeping the equipment and work environment in clean and in good working order. The Fleet Mechanic I works as part of a team to assist with other duties such as vegetation maintenance, structure inspection and repair, and manual labor.
* High School Diploma or GED
* One (1) year of experience as mechanic using analysis/diagnostic equipment
* Knowledge of lubrication procedures and types of oil used in servicing equipment.
* Ability to move heavy equipment such as, uniloader, back hoe, water truck, grapple truck, ag tractor, gradall, dump truck, excavator, dozer, track and rubber tire loader, maintainer
* General knowledge of fleet electrical systems, hydraulic systems, pneumatic systems, HVAC systems, and/or small engine repair
* Basic knowledge of safety and environmental standards
* Valid Texas CDL Class A or B with tanker (N) and hazmat (H) endorsements and without restriction E, or ability to obtain within six (6) months
* Mechanic classes. education, or additional mechanic experience
Functions and responsibilities:
* Perform analysis, diagnostics and maintenance on various vehicles and heavy equipment, such as a uniloader, back hoe, water truck, grapple truck, ag tractor, gradall, dump truck, excavator, dozer, track and rubber tire loader, maintainer
* Use a variety of shop tools including, but not limited to, welders, wrenches, air compressor, sockets, cutting torches and drill press to perform maintenance and repairs
* Clean, maintain and inspect all equipment daily
* Regularly maintain tool inventory
* Perform data entry on work orders and for time-keeping
* Uphold safety/environmental standards and clean work environment
* Interact and coordinate with other TRWD personnel
* Perform construction projects including, but not limited to, building fence, pouring and finishing concrete, carpentry, and painting
* Perform maintenance and inspections of floodgates, dam and spillway structures
* Perform general maintenance of TRWD structures and grounds including pipeline and floodway
* After hours Emergency Response
* Perform other duties as required
Success factors/job competencies:
* Attention to Detail — Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks
* Dependability — Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations
* Cooperation — Job requires being pleasant with others on the job and displaying a good-natured, cooperative attitude
* Stress Tolerance — Job requires accepting criticism and dealing calmly and effectively with high stress situations
* Concern for Others — Job requires being sensitive to others’ needs and feelings and being understanding and helpful on the job
* Independence — Job requires developing one’s own ways of doing things, guiding oneself with little or no supervision, and depending on oneself to get things done
* Self-Control — Job requires maintaining composure, keeping emotions in check, controlling anger, and avoiding aggressive behavior, even in very difficult situations
* Adaptability/Flexibility — Job requires being open to change (positive or negative) and to considerable variety in the workplace
* Initiative — Job requires a willingness to take on responsibilities and challenges
* Persistence — Job requires persistence in the face of obstacles
* Innovation — Job requires creativity and alternative thinking to develop new ideas for and answers to work-related problems
* Integrity — Job requires being honest and ethical
* Achievement/Effort — Job requires establishing and maintaining personally challenging achievement goals and exerting effort toward mastering tasks
Physical demands and work environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Physical demands: While performing duties of job, employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hand to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk and hear. Employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 80 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
* Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee typically resides out in the field exposing the employee to weather conditions prevalent at the time. This position will also work in confined spaces, on water ways such as lakes or rivers, and at various heights.