Identify suppliers, select merchandise and negotiate bills of sale for TRWD. Inspect deliveries for shipping errors, improper handling, or quality issues. Procure goods and services over $25,000 using informal written bids, formal written bids, co-ops, procurement cards, purchase orders, and inter-local agreements. Additionally, this position is responsible for securing materials and services at the best value from a reliable source in accordance with applicable statute and the District’s purchasing policies and procedures.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
* Award, approve (sign the order as purchasing agent designee) and issue purchase orders based on best value determination, with lowest cost being the primary ‘best value’
* Ensure all purchases adhere to District policies, procedures and best business practices
* Exercise judgment in review of quotes and award of purchase orders
* Process purchase requisitions and associated documents (paper or electronically)
* Work effectively with internal staff and external customers to ensure completion of the entire purchasing cycle
* Complete appropriate documentation accurately and retain with purchase order file
* Work closely with internal departments to resolve payment and vendor issues
* Initiate and respond to correspondences as needed
* Maintain familiarity with strategic District levels of service
* Continuous improvement monitoring and innovation efforts
* Perform other duties as required
* One (1) year of purchasing experience
* Knowledge of preparing and analyzing technical specifications and bids
* Computer proficiency in Microsoft products and financial software
* High School Diploma or GED
* Valid Texas driver’s license
* Bachelor’s degree in Purchasing, Business, Technical or related field
* Purchasing Certification
Success Factors/Job Competencies:
* Ability to plan and think ahead
* Ability to make decisions using logic, common sense and ethics
* Ability to initiate and process purchases and paperwork with considerable accuracy
* Ability to work efficiently with internal staff and vendors
* Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities
* Attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Physical demands: While performing duties of job, employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hand to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk and hear. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
* Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee typically resides within an office or cubicle and may have occasional field work that will expose the employee to weather conditions prevalent at the time.