Geospatial Services Analyst – Senior – Fort Worth
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Type Of Employment: Full Time
Under limited supervision, in alignment with the TRWD Geospatial Services department vision, utilize advanced GIS concepts and technology to contribute to TRWD’s Enterprise GIS, supporting all TRWD departments and functions including, but not to be limited to, engineering, operations, facility management, asset management, water transmission, planning, environmental, conservation, watershed modeling, terrain/image processing, as well as other business and customer functions. Independently perform highly complex GIS projects and tasks that develop, enhance, and maintain TRWD’s Enterprise GIS. Perform database design and maintenance, application development, and apply advanced GIS concepts and principles to quickly solve multifaceted spatial problems.
- Bachelor’s degree in GIS, Geography, Computer Science, Survey, Geomatics or related discipline or any combination equivalent of experience and education.
- Must have four (4) years of progressive experience with Esri ArcGIS (Desktop, Enterprise, Applications), database management in SQL Server environment.
- A Master’s degree in GIS or similar field with GIS-directed course work may be substituted for one (1) year of experience.
- Understand principles of GIS technology. Strong understanding of an Enterprise GIS.
- Strong critical thinking skills. The ability to quickly form your own opinion from a variety of different sources and provide results in the form of tangible deliverables.
- Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment and must be at a level to perform a high percentage of tasks independently.
- Certified Geographic Information System Professional (GISP).
- Experience working with Latitude Geographics’ Geocortex products, Esri ArcGIS Online, or custom web application development.
- Experience integrating GIS into multiple facets in an organization, such as integration with business functions (asset management, hydrology, surface modeling).
- Demonstrated experience with linear referencing concepts.
- Knowledge of programming languages.
- Valid Texas driver license.
Essential functions and responsibilities:
- Assist in the administration of TRWD’s Enterprise GIS:
- Aid in the administration, maintenance, licensing, and upgrading the ArcGIS Platform.
- Help monitor server performance, troubleshoot performance and software issues.
- Recommend hardware needs, assist in the procurement and integration of new software.
- Ability to manage, maintain, and create web and mobile applications using either Latitude Geographics products, ArcGIS Enterprise, ArcGIS Online, and Esri developer tools.
- Identify database discrepancies and inconsistencies, recommend and implement database schema changes and design, implement and enforce database quality control and assurance.
- As directed, serve as Geospatial Services project manager utilizing industry standard project management concepts and best practices; managing projects from inception to implementation.
- Provide oversight of projects and tasks assigned to external consultants and Geospatial Services staff. Coordinates the delivery of GIS services and products to external consultants.
- Utilizes ArcGIS software to visualize, manipulate, display, create, edit, query and analyze data stored in TRWD’s Enterprise GIS, and ensures GIS/GPS data is accurate, useable, and current.
- Advance experience in maintaining and analyzing elevations models, performing advanced spatial analysis, and using linear reference concepts.
- Capable of interpreting Engineering plans and related documents.
- Responsible for fulfilling map and data requests from District staff.
- Maintain proper user and system documentation.
Nonessential functions, skills and experience:
- Working knowledge of Trimble survey equipment and the implementation of that data into GIS.
- Ability of automating GIS process tasks (ModelBuilder, and/or programming).
- Understanding of state procurement laws. Ability to review contracts and write proposals.
- Performs other duties as required.
Success factors/job competencies:
- Proficient knowledge of Esri ArcGIS Desktop, ArcSDE within a Microsoft SQL Server environment, ArcGIS Enterprise, general database design, operation and maintenance, and maintaining a multi-user editing environment.
- Exercise sound independent judgment within established guidelines and timelines.
- Must have vast knowledge of and be self-sufficient with spatial analysis processes utilizing GIS, have good analytical and communication skills, and have an aptitude for brainstorming and problem solving.
- Thorough knowledge and ability to apply industry standard concepts and best practices to plan, organize, and complete multiple complex Geospatial Services projects and tasks efficiently.
- The ability to assess GIS user needs, identify geographic and information management issues and opportunities, analyze problems and assess alternative solutions, develop sound conclusions and recommendations, prioritize and carry out assigned projects to most effectively meet user needs in a timely manner.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with managers, co-workers, representatives of other departments and divisions, and professionals in other public agencies.
- Self-starter, strong work ethic with attention to detail in the quality control and assurance of their work.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple work demands, ability to complete all tasks assigned by given deadlines.
- Positive attitude with a team orientated focus.
- May require working long or unusual hours.
Physical demands and work environment:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical demands: While performing duties of job, employee is required to stand; walk; sit; use hand to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; talk or hear. Employee must be able lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee may walk on difficult terrain, climb ladders, and enter into confined spaces. This position may require outdoor work in weather conditions prevalent at the tim
- Equipment Use: Esri ArcGIS software, Trimble surveying equipment & software, personal computer, printer, plotter, calculator, specialized equipment (survey instruments, GPS devices, cathodic protection meters, laser range finder, etc…).